Bowling Green, Kentucky – The investigation into a fire in Hugh Poland Hall, a nine-story co-ed residence hall is continuing. Melissa K. Autry, a freshman from Pellville, Kentucky, was injured in a fire in her room at about 4 AM. The fire was extinguished by the hall's sprinkler system. She was rescued by Bowling Green firefighters and taken to the Medical Center at Bowling Green. She was then transferred to Vanderbilt University Hospital. Autry was admitted to the hospital's burn unit in critical condition.
The investigation is being led by Western Kentucky University Police in cooperation with the Kentucky State Fire Marshal's Office, Kentucky State Police and Bowling Green Fire Department. The University has implemented additional security measures in Hugh Poland Hall. A police officer has been stationed in the hall for the remainder of the semester and the staff at the front desk has been doubled.