Tue July 24, 2012
More Job Cuts at Lexington Herald Leader
Kentucky’s Second-largest newspaper is cutting back on staff again. The publishers of the Lexington Herald Leader are citing the troubled economy in announcing the latest changes.
Publisher Rufus Friday sent a memo to employees, announcing that ten more jobs would be cut, and asking employees to take another week of furlough before the end of the year. That’s in addition to a previously announced furlough week. Friday says the jobs will be lost across several divisions of the newspaper, including news and general administration. In the memo, he said revenues remain negative and the economic recovery has been slower than management had hoped it would be.
After the ten positions are eliminated, the McClatchy-owned newspaper will have the equivalent of 216 employees. The Lexington Herald-Leader employed 370 people when the first round of lay-offs was announced four years ago.