WKU Public Radio News Staff
Mon June 10, 2013
Western Kentucky Toddler Critical after Drinking Meth Ingredients
A western Kentucky child is in critical condition after ingesting a chemical used to make methamphetamine.
The 2-year-old Ohio County girl drank sulphuric acid drain opener that was in a shot glass. She suffered chemical burns to her lips, tongue, mouth and esophagus.
Authorities say the child's mother and her boyfriend were making meth inside the home. They allegedly waited six hours before taking the child to the hospital.
Rachael Arroyo and Jared McStoots were jailed on charges of wanton endangerment and controlled substance endangerment to a child.
The girl was flown to Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville.