Rick McCubbin

Rick Howlett

It’s been just over three months since the ambush shooting death of Bardstown Police Officer Jason Ellis. The 33-year-old was attacked while on his way home from work on the Memorial Day weekend.

Police say they have not identified any suspects but continue to follow up on leads.  As the days pass without an arrest, many are working to keep the case fresh in people’s minds.

On a hot Saturday afternoon in late August, hundreds of motorcyclists gathered at the Jim Beam Distillery for food, drink and an auction. They were taking part in a poker run to raise money for the Jason Ellis Memorial Fund, established for the slain Bardstown officer’s wife and two sons, ages 6 and 7.

This event raised more than $32,000. Similar fundraisers have generated thousands more, some went to a reward fund set up to help find the officer’s killer or killers. It has grown to about $200,000.

Police believe the ambush of Officer Jason Ellis was carefully planned.

The Kentucky police department still mourning the ambush slaying of one of its officers has received a threat warning that more officers will be killed.

Bardstown Police Chief Rick McCubbin said Tuesday his department received a recent letter threatening that "there are more to come."

McCubbin says that was a reference to the ambush of Bardstown Officer Jason Ellis last month.

The chief says the threat was turned over to Kentucky State Police and the FBI.

Ellis - a K-9 officer - was hit with shotgun blasts after he got out of his cruiser to pick up tree limbs strewn on a highway exit ramp in Nelson County.

McCubbin has said he thinks Ellis was targeted in the slaying.

McCubbin says Bardstown police officers won't retreat from doing their job.

Bardstown Police Department

A slain Bardstown police officer will be laid to rest Thursday, even as the person responsible remains undetected.  Colleagues will bury Officer Jason Ellis who investigators say was ambushed on the job. 

The 33-year-old Ellis was on his way home from work Saturday morning when he stopped to move debris on the Bluegrass Parkway in Nelson County.  He was shot multiple times after getting out of his cruiser.  Bardstown Police Chief Rick McCubbin believes Ellis was targeted, saying the planning and execution of the attack was "methodical and precise." 

Compunding the sadness of Ellis' colleagues is the fact there remains no suspects or motive for the crime.  Chief McCubbin says he will not rest until there is justice.

"The happiest day will be, cause this is certainly the worst day, but the happiest day will be when we've got this person or persons, in whatever fashion we get them.  We will get them," says McCubbin emphatically.

Ellis leaves behind his wife and two sons, ages six and seven.  Following the funeral Thursday morning, a procession will go through Bardstown on the way to the cemetery for the community to pay respects along the route.  

The Fraternal Order of Police has set up two accounts at a local bank.  Wilson and Muir Bank and Trust is accepting donations to a memorial fund for the officer's family and a reward fund for information leading to an arrest and conviction.